Thursday, August 20, 2009

Washington Square Press

In one of my first posts to this blog i mentioned my first brush with the work of Stephen Crane: picking up a copy of The Red Badge of Courage in my middle school's library. I had an image of that cover in my mind all these years since, but i only recently found a photo of it online:



The soldiers drew me in. I only wonder if the cover wasn't quite so cool, when if ever would i have discovered Stephen Crane for myself? So i'd just like to thank the publisher, Washington Square Press, for catching my eye. There is also a Signet paperback with an almost identical cover:


I don't know where that Civil War photo comes from, so if you do please leave a comment below. Just don't say Matthew Brady or you'll be shot with a rusty cartridge. It's a great photo, and i remember as i kid i was trying to decide which Red Badge character would be which soldier in the photo. I suppose for me, Henry is the one in the second row from the front, on the right, and Wilson is the leaning guy on his left. What do you think? And who are the rest of them?

After getting hooked by the Red Badge i then went to the public library looking for Crane books and found this edition of Maggie & other stories, which also happens to be published by Washington Square Press:

No comments: